Tuesday, 22 September 2015
Monday, 21 September 2015
Saturday, 19 September 2015
Saturday, 12 September 2015
Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death, if consumed in large quantities.
8. Excessive salt - Chips, Potato Fries
While a pinch of salt is fine in dog food to maintain their electrolyte balance, large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Signs that your pet may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death.
9. Raw/ Undercooked Meat and Raw Egg
Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be harmful to pets causing Gastroenteritis. Symptoms include that of food poisoning and can sometimes be fatal. This is very common especially in warm countries like ours where the cold chain for the meat preservation is not maintained.
In addition, raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which can lead to skin and coat problems. Thus always boil your eggs well if you want to add that as a protein source to your pets food.
10. Raw Bones
Feeding your pet raw bones may seem like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your pet lived in the wild. However, this can be very dangerous for a domestic pet, who might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract. Thus one must completely avoid feeding bone, especially chicken bones to pets who are not experienced in eating them.